<VV> Brake Adjustment

David Heath dheath at vanceandhines.com
Mon Oct 20 10:42:05 EDT 2008

I have a brake question which I think will turn out to be an adjustment.  I
have a Œ65 coupe and when I use the brakes the car always pulls to one side,
just a little.  It is only on initial application of the brakes ­ once I am
on the brakes harder, the car tracks straight.  I do not have a leaking
cylinder.  Another piece information- the steering is a little loose; even
after I tightened up the adjustment screw, the steering is slightly loose
off-center.  All parts in the front end are new or rebuilt (except the
steering box).
I suspect I need to learn how to correctly adjust drum brakes.  What is the
correct way to set them up?  How much drag should they have?  I own one of
the drum brake calipers for setting the correct diameter, but frankly don¹t
know exactly how to use it; seems to be different diameters at different
places on the shoes and if I try to get it to the ³correct² diameter, the
drum won¹t go on.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Dave Heath
Cypress, CA