<VV> Some project ramblings

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Mon Oct 20 13:21:56 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Hope you all had a good weekend.  Trevor and I took the '66 Corsa -
it's the one with the 110 that I ended up swapping pistons and
barrels into - for a 20 mile run to the club meeting on Saturday.  We
had a nice turnout, 9 Corvairs, both early and late, including our
host's '64 coupe.  Weather here in Northern Virginia was just
perfect, a crisp fall day.  The car ran great, but I do have a noisy
alternator bearing that made itself known about 10 miles out.  Our
project for the meeting was checking out a turn signal switch on a
member's '65 sedan (really nice low mileage example).  On the left
side the car had no brake light, but the turn signal and tail lamp
worked.  Right side light everything worked.  After getting to the
switch, it turned out one of the moving contacts had broken and come
out, so it looks like a new switch is in order.

Back at home, the latest project wagon had spark but wouldn't start,
so I ran a clear hose from a gas can to the inlet line to see if the
pump was pumping.  Nope.  I'll dig a used one out of the basement for
now and see if we can get it running so I can get it in the carport
to look it over and get going on the short term things it needs
before the first drive.

I also found the problem with that 110 I picked up.  It had zero
compression on the left bank, so I thought a valve adjustment was
worth a try.  Since I had the engine at TDC, I did the first half of
the valves and went to turn the crank.  Well, the crank turns but the
valves don't move :-(  At least it's complete, so I'll get a few bits
off it I can use.

Good luck on everyone else's projects!

--Bryan

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa