<VV> Trans axle - back-up light switches

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Oct 20 20:19:11 EDT 2008

In a message dated 10/20/2008 4:14:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
PatioMatt at aol.com writes:

There's  an intermediate harness that goes to the trans switch...  or the
original switches had LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG  wires?

Matt  Nall

The original 65 switch had a pair of long wires soldered on. The hang-down
switch was the first thing to go when the car bottomed out. First the wires,
then the switch itself. If ripped off, depending on the impact, quite a leak
can  result. With the 66-69 switch, brain fade during powertrain removal is
about the only danger. (Speaking from experience - I have yanked a couple of the
harnesses off over the years). It can be easy to forget. I suppose a broken
U-joint and a thrashing half-shaft could also take it out. One of the vendors
could sell a few of an adapter harness that goes from the 65-plug, in the
lower shrouded area, out to the 66-69 "Saginaw" switch location. Lots of  65s
get the later transaxles.  - Seth Emerson