<VV> EM gas heater troubles

Tom Lopez twlopez at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 00:59:10 EDT 2008

So I decided to reconnect my gas heater. I installed a fresh ignition coil
and after starting the car I engaged the heat switch and the fan switch. No
heat and no noticeable "BOOM" sound from the combustion chamber. My
combustion blower motor turns and I checked the points which seemed to be
pretty good looking. I took a 12 volt light tester and checked the + and -
posts on the coil. here is where it gets confusing. When the HEAT and FAN
switch are engaged both posts on the coil light up my tester solid. Now if
the points are working correctly the - post should intermittently light
ON-OFF-ON-OFF etc right? Instead both posts register a solid steady light.
I am pretty sure the ground to the points is good seeing as how I moved it
to rest right against the inner fender behind the mounting bracket. What
could be the culprit?

Tom Lopez
1960 700 Sedan
140cu PG