<VV> CORSA CONVENTION not family oriented

Kenneth E Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Oct 21 08:11:10 EDT 2008

said [in part]:

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:57:14 -0400 "George Jones" <65crownv8 at gmail.com>
writes:
> I believe logic can provide that answer Dennis. CORSA is a family
> oriented
> car club, and families usually include children. For the most part,
> family
> vacation scheduling dictates that if you want families to attend,
> the
> convention needs to be held between mid June and Mid August, when
> most
> children wouldn't need to be pulled out of school to attend.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Past experience tells me that CORSA is as far from being 'family
orientated' as any of the National organizations I have known.  At
the end of the DC convention my wife, a woman who always said
yes to going anywhere at anytime, was so bored she said she
did not want to go to another CORSA convention ... and we didn't.  I
had noticed that there was nothing planned in any CORSA convention
to entertain the women that came along but had no real interest in the
car activities.

Sharon had long since passed away when the National convention
was to be held in the Detroit area.  Remembering the talks we had I
planed to 'do something different.'  Special activities for the women!
CORSA's response was a flat out NO!  After much argument and
only after CORSA was assured there would be NO cost to them did
they allow these activities.  It took another long drawn out fight to get
them to allow the activities to be included in the published schedule
and to get them in the Communique.

During the course of the Detroit convention 'Mr. H' stopped by the
Hospitality area.  Having noticed that the designated room was
empty he said "Ken, how are the women's activities doing?'

'Quite well,' I said, 'there are 47 of them meeting in the bigger room
next door!'

'That is a significant number,' he said.

Twenty years of conventions and nobody had noticed all those
ladies.  Not the only reason but I believe this is a significant factor
in the decline of CORSA membership over the years when other
organizations are growing in leaps and bounds.

Of course, my kids didn't care that there was little or nothing for them.

They would spend the time in the pool or hitting dad up for snack
and game money.

Ken P