<VV> sticking accelerator pedal

Jeff Wilson jwilson at unctv.org
Tue Oct 21 18:46:55 EDT 2008

Hi guys... got a nasty little problem. The accelerator pedal on my 65 sedan has
gotten VERY 'sticky'. It doesn't even pretend it want to pop back up after
you press it- I have to actually PULL it back out with my hand.

It's obviously un-drivable in this condition.

I've wd-40'ed the hell out of the pedal bracket, jacked up the rear and checked the
swivel-bracket thingie at the transmission (4-spd), checked all the linkage in the engine
compartment. All good as far as I can tell.... Return-spring on carb linkage looks OK.

I think I hear a 'clunking' noise up in the tunnel when I work the forward (into the
tunnel) acc rod from underneath. The Clark's catalog diagram is hazy in this area.
Is there some sort of bracket/ swivel/ fulcrum type arrangement up IN the tunnel
or is it a straight rod from the tranny to the pedal?

Worked fine until a week ago....

CJ Wilson