<VV> Longest auto race

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Sun Oct 26 08:14:34 EDT 2008

Silly question, but it has only just struck me that the race is just
beginning - despite its name, I was kind of thinking of it as a Paris - New
York race, and assuming they were just getting it over in time for the
winter shut-down!

Given that in 1908 they started in February and arrived in July (which is
pretty sensible, although April - September would perhaps have been even
better!), why on earth are they starting in October this year, to drive
across Russia? I know cars are faster now, but the Siberian roads (and
weather!) are pretty much the same as they were in 1908, despite the claims
of the global warmers.

Don't they know what happened to Napoleon? And Hitler...

I am really cheesed off that I didn't know about this until I was back in
the UK, otherwise the Corvair and I could have stayed on a couple of extra
weeks and done at least part of the route.

It would have been hard to make the extra time, but doing it in Matt White
would have been fantastic - and after all, I don't think I am likely to be
around for the bicentennial (although my Corvair might be! I am currently
one of the only two surviving owners and former owners of my 1937
Terraplane, and there is a letter with the car wishing the first owner 'a
lifetime's pleasure' - in fact so far it has provided more than 5 lifetimes
of pleasure, and it looks set to outlive at least the other guy (who is 80)
and possibly me (50 and counting!).

Cheers

Alan