<VV> Safety First ! - Chew Gum !

Charles Lee chaz at ProperProPer.com
Sun Oct 26 14:58:57 EDT 2008

When the carbs on my Corsa convert went up in flames with no help in
sight, I huffed and puffed and blew the flames out.  Really.

(The battery cable hard burned itself through the grommet, and welded
through the firewall and ignited the left carbs.)

I replaced the wires and cleaned the carbs, and all was well (sort of)

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Chris & Bill
Strickland
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2008 9:43 AM
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> Safety First ! - Chew Gum !

>If you get a hole in a tank which is not too large, chew - as fast as
>possible - a wad of chewing gum.

As we all know, JR sonetimes blows a little hot air, just like the
Corvair cooling system, BUT, folks, gum really works!

Your best choice in plain, old-fashioned bubble gum -- the important
thing is it needs to be "used", ie, all the sugar needs to be chewed out

of it. At that point, it may as well be a stick of that quick mix epoxy
stuff.

Get two pieces, chew the first one a bit and stick it to the hole to
slow things down while you are chewing the second piece up real good --
then repalce that first one that still has sugar in it with the second
piece -- a nearly a permanant patch, especially if you spray a bit of
undercoat over it so it isn't obvious to those friends that crawl under
your car to check it out.

Gasoline explosions only happen if you have a lot of atomized gasoline
in open still air -- carb fires simply don't "explode".  Your best
friend in case of a car fire is a severe lack of panic on your part -- a

nice big current 10 pound ABC class extinguisher will also come in
handy, in spite of the mess you need to clean up afterward (compare it
to the mess if you let it burn, but I suppose that depends on how it is
insured ...)

Bill Strickland

are the property
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org