<VV> More on Fire Prevention and Causes

David Houston judgehouston at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 14:16:25 EDT 2008

I've received ten emails detailing corvair fires from defects in fuel lines and wiring harness. Four of the incidents happened when these cars were new. Most common cause of fire is aging or incorrect rubber fuel line in engine compartment used in conjunction with a frame mounted electric fuel pump that sprayed engine compartment and exploded. Apparently, this can happen so fast the first sign of trouble is NOT loss of power, but the explosion. In one case the corvair was an inferno with melted tires in less than a minute.  It seems in most cases it took some time for the improper gasline to desintergrate. I was also informed that the heater fan motor can short out and has ignited the cloth covered conduits (FC's). I was also told that Clark's,Corvair Ranch, Charley's Corvair in Phoenix,..etc can tell and show examples of corvair fires. Be careful.  The movie thing went over my head!