<VV> Thermal Barrier - Ceramic Coatings

Geoffrey Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Tue Oct 28 09:59:27 EDT 2008

Hi All,
A few notes on my current motor after reading others experiences.   I did
not take into accout
thickness of the coating in relation to effect on compression ratio,
figuring it would not be enough to play a big role - right now just
playing
around with a spare car.    I did CC the heads along with careful port
opening and smoothing and very thorough deflashing.   This was done a
while back before
coating the chambers.  I actually increased compression on this
motor by
using 110 heads.
It was a 95 and I
retained the 95  889 cam.    This was rather expiramental and if it does
not work out I have no trouble swapping them back.    I have about 400
miles on the motor now and I am very pleased with it as a daily driver.
Only ping I got
was after its first  highway run when I lugged it too much leaving a light
up a hill.   A lot may be the cam and head combo, but I am impressed
with the performace.   Good usable torque anywhere in regularly used
driving
RPM's.   Feels like a good 140 but it is not peaky.

I also appreciate all the other input from people who have done this.    I
am still working on a 140 PG for my other four door that will get the same
coatings.   It will also have a high quench setup with milled pistons.

-Geoff Johnson
1966 500 Four Door 95-3 Speed