<VV> Corvairs on TV - Life on Mars

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 31 14:14:03 EDT 2008

That's the problem with the collector car market. "We" have saved almost
nothing that is "typical" of the average cars, but instead focused on a
narrow segment. The result can be seen every time I open my Hemmings. You'd
think, by looking thru the listings, that (for example) they built nothing
but 2door hardtop and convertible Chevelles. The wagons and 4doors almost
never show up. And most cars are maxed out in options.

Such was not typical of the "common" car back then (or even now). As a
result, any time a set decorator tries to put together a "typical" street
scene for a retro production, (s)he finds almost no "typical" cars
available, and ends up populating the scene with those show-boats that you
most often find at today's cruise-in's and car shows. So IF someone is
lucky and DOES happen to put together a truely "typical" scene, it's almost
a miracle.

-Mark

Corvair,