<VV> Battery Minder Advice

FrankCB frankcb at aol.com
Mon Sep 1 19:31:45 EDT 2008

Jim,
     I use a "Battery Tender Plus" which charges at 3 levels as the battery "comes up" to full charge, it keeps the final charging rate at about 13.5 volts.  Using this enabled me to keep my ORIGINAL factory Delco battery going for 11-1/2 years on my 1995 TransSport before I recently had to finally replace it.
     Whatever unit you choose, make sure the FINAL charging rate is 13 to 13.5 volts so you don't decompose the water in the acid electrolyte and have to frequently add water.
     Battery Tender now has a cheaper version ( Battery Tender Jr.)  available that only uses 2 levels but cost less than $30.
     Big batteries at full charge are like charity in that they cover a "multitude of sins" like driving home with no fan and no functioning alternator which requires frequent stops to cool off and frequent restarts.
     Frank Burkhard