<VV> Battery Minder Advice

Robert Henry robertkhenry at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 3 18:31:34 EDT 2008

Right now, I'm using an actual "BatteryMINDer"
http://www.vdcelectronics.com/index.htm

I got it for $50 at Northern Tool (model 12117). I originally bought it to
mind my aircraft battery but when that battery is in the airplane I've
started putting the BatteryMINDer on the Corvair. Of course, that only works
since both are 12V. I may need to get another BatteryMINDer.

I haven't had the BatteryMINDer long enough to determine if it works any
better than a conventional automatic charger. It did bring up the state of
charge on all the cells but the aircraft battery had to be replaced in less
than a year--an acceptable failure after 6 years of service for that
battery. The battery was fully charged but couldn't muster enough current to
start the engine. Nothing lasts forever.

Unlike some automatic chargers, I don't worry about leaving this one
connected to the battery for extended periods. They claim it's smart enough
to not overcharge the battery. The cells don't seem as dry as they've gotten
when I've used a simple regulated automatic charger--one that's regulated to
about 13.8V.

Bob Henry