<VV> Wiring harness replacement

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 5 01:55:46 EDT 2008

Between taking care of the three year old and the three month old and
the part time night job, I've had precious little time to reply.

The damage is to the connection on page 12-23 of the '65 service
manual right after the firewall near the left carb.  I'm leaning
towards replacing it with new wires and connections since it will
involve (I'd imagine) some considerable effort.  I was given the name
of a vendor in California (M and H), but they are having a difficult
time trying to locate the correct harness with their catalog.

http://www.wiringharness.com/

and

http://www.wiringharness.com/PDFS/COR_2008_Corvair.pdf
(page 7)

37964 1965 ENGINE HARNESS, standard model, with backup lamps, early
production, contains striped color wires $78.00
06150 1965 ENGINE HARNESS, standard model, with backup lamps, late
production, contains solid color wires $78.00

and when you use the "search for products by make and model"  in the
upper right hand corner of the main page you get:

37964   ENGINE HARNESS, STANDARD MODEL, WITH BACKUP LAMPS  $69.95

I found #37969 for the main harness.  They asked if I have stripped
or solid wires yesterday when I talked to them by phone.  I actually
have both.  There is a black wire that has a yellow stripe and a
black and green, a black and purple, and a black and white.  The rest
of the wires appear to be solid.  I know that the car rolled off the
line in the last week of January of '65.  I would guess that I would
order the stripped version.
Does the connection on 12-23 go through the firewall and then connect
at "view c" on page 12-22?  If so, then I need to check that harness
as I have been concentrating on the engine compartment with what
little time I've had to examine it.  If I'm understanding the
picture,  then there would be a lead of about two feet of wire going
through the firewall before the harness connection in "view c".  If
that is the case, would the engine wiring harness include that?  I
would need the 12-23 view (complete engine harness), and the "view c"
wire to and including the connection at the least.  How would you run
the plastic connection through the hole in the fire wall?

"It's another fine mess you've gotten us into Ollie!"

Stephen