<VV> spark plug wires, towing a car, and 66 trans to 65 diff

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Sun Sep 14 12:13:44 EDT 2008

This is an "all in one" post: three topics in one!

Everyone always says "buy from the vendors", a concept I generally support,
but on spark plug wires, I have installed several sets of Borg-Warner CH610
silicone sets (grey)with perfect results. They fit perfectly, have correct
boots and run $20.  On the same topic, I have two sets of Standard 9615 wire
sets but I've never installed a set. Does anyone have any feedback on them?
They look great (black) and have correct boots too.

Towing a car that hasn't been driven in 23 years: Here are my thoughts? Does
the engine run?  If not, while towing, the trans mainshaft will spin
continuously. How much lubricant remains in the mainshaft needle and roller
bearings after 23 years?  They are not lubricated unless the engine is
turning or has turned recently.  If the car engine has been run recently,
you are probably OK on that score otherwise, the trans is at risk. Also,
What's your tow rig?  You mentioned a serious mountain pass. Can your tow
rig handle a 2800# "trailer" with no supplemental braking?  I recall a VV
note a couple of years ago where someone towing with a Suburban managed to
jackknife it when they had to do some hard braking. I live in a mountainous
area and tow something every week and even with a 3/4T HD if I'm going any
distance, I won't roll without trailer brakes when the trailer's over 2000#.

Mixing a 66 Trans with a 65 Diff.  My experience has not been good with this
combination.  Some 65 diffs have slightly longer pinion shafts which contact
the rear bearing on the 66 trans and cause the Saginaw's rear bearing
retainer to crack. I replaced two bearing retainers before I figured that
out. You will also have to change the front differential pinion bearing
retainer to the '66 style, along with it's clip. Then there's the lube
transfer problem, for which the previous poster seemed to have a good
solution. One thing I didn't see mentioned was the need to swap-out the
input shaft for the 1" longer Saginaw style.  All in all, it's much simpler
and more reliable to round up one of the plentiful '66 style differentials
and bolt 'em together and forget about it.

All MHO, but BTDT on all of 'em.
Craig Nicol