<VV> Flat towing and registration

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Sep 14 14:53:27 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/14/2008 8:06:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
mioanes at woh.rr.com writes:

Some states allow you to operate, or take the vehicle to get
registered  without any plate on it.  Did this when I lived in Kansas.  In
general, I'd say that the east is more strict & rigid than the  west.

Mike Ioanes

Until you get to California - If it touches the street, it better be
licensed. They will give you, excuse me, sell you, a one-day moving permit,  to move
it to a smog shop or whatever - and the new DMV computers can now  instantly
check whether it is insured as well (and the police have access). The  DMV
speaks of voiding the registration of a car which doesn't have current  insurance.
Of course, I believe that a towed vehicle is covered under the  insurance of
the towing vehicle. So I believe you can flat tow a vehicle which  has had
registration paid, even if insurance is not current. I hope a judge  doesn't have
to explain it to me, someday, why that logic is wrong. -  Seth