<VV> Fw: RE: FW: where's YOUR Fanbelt Toss this Year? (a bit long)

Jack Pinard corvairjack at verizon.net
Tue Sep 16 22:48:00 EDT 2008

Subject: Re: FW: <VV>
where's YOUR Fanbelt Toss this Year? (a bit long)

  I strongly endorse
  Vintage Corsa's location change for the Great Western Fan Belt Toss & Swap Meet.

  As a native Californian for sixty years I have visited and watched
 Palm Springs change.

  Years ago Palm Springs
  was a getaway weekend location for couples who wanted to mix with the
  "jet set" at Beverly
    Hills and Fifth Avenue shops.

  Then it became a haven for the "hippies" and students "on
  break".

  Now it is a magnet for "gamblers and gays".

  The city has changed, and so has the demographics of Corvair owners.

  The numbers of "old timers" is dwindling, and many no longer drive
  Corvairs.  The Fan Belt Toss for those few is pure nostalgia.

 Palm Springs
  never offered much public exposure for Corvairs, and sadly the event was not
  widely promoted in the media.

 Costa Mesa is
  centered in a population of over 17 million within 1:00 hr.

  It is an prime opportunity for promoting the joys of Corvair ownership

  with the car show.  The swap meet is of lesser importance .

  Driving times are short from Southern California
  chapter areas, and many attending will not have to stay overight in expensive
  hotels.

 San Diego 1.5 hrs., Inland Empire :45 min.,
  Corsa West 1:00 hr., Ventura 1:45,
 South
 Coast :45 min.

  From Arizona and the east it is an
  additional 1:45 from Palm Springs .

  But for members in Central and Northern California
  it is 1:00 closer.

  In addition, the basic nature of the Great Western Fan Belt Toss and Swap
  Meet has changed. At one time it may have been a "Regional Event"
  with coordination and cooperation among many Southland chapters. Corsa officials
  have done little coordination, and now four chapters essentially rotate
  production and exclude decisions of other chapters.

  It is time to adjust to the changing realities of the internet and the baby
  boomer market. And it is time to hold up our Corvairs as the true
  "Classic Sixties  Collectible".

  For too long the attitude that Corsa is a sheltered fraternity of owners of
  funny economy cars has governed the production of events.

  I am proud to be a member of Vintage Corsa, and strongly urge all Corvair
  owners to fully support this year's event. It is in your interest if you
  intend to some day sell your car.

  For me it is insuring that the cars I pass down to my grand-daughters will be
  valuable objects of pride and admiration.

  This is my personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the views of
  any other person or chapter.

  John W.
  "Jack" Pinard, 116 E Garden Green, Port Hueneme CA 93041 - H 805
  984-2692  -  C 805 340-6533