<VV> SL or? SM? oil in Corvair....

Secular rusecular at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 13:45:44 EDT 2008

  The current API standard is SM, and calls for 0.06-0.08% Zn and P.

  Here are the running averages for all the oils tested thus far, listed by
  their API rating:

    API                P (ppm)                Zn (ppm)
    ----                ---------                 -----------

    SE-SJ               1301                    1280

    CI-4                1150                     1374

    SL                     994                     1182

    CJ-4                  819                     1014

    SM                    770                        939

  I do not recommend the use of any SM or CJ-4 motor oils in any aircooled Porsche,
  or any vehicle that can benefit from the added anti-wear additives such as
  pre-ODBII (On board diagnostic system) vehicles...

  ----

  Source:

  What motor oil is best for my aircooled Porsche?
  (or any high performance engine)
  by Charles Navarro
  Last Updated 07/31/08

  http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html#Z10