<VV> My Powerglide Is Crying

Tom Lopez twlopez at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 17:30:29 EDT 2008

Hey all, I am new to the Corvair scene. I just recently got my hands on one
of those urban legend granny cars. She is a 1960 700 Sedan. The car was
owned by one little old lady who kept it garaged since day one. Overall I am
stoked on what I stumbled upon for $1900 (yes the grandkids just wanted to
clear the garage space since she passed away). Anyhow the car was non-op'd 7
years ago and remained parked in the garage until I decided to make the
impulse buy. She is all registered and I am getting her ready for the road
and maybe some shows out here but I have noticed that the Powerglide
transmission leaks a bit of fluid on the drivers side just right before the
rear wheels. It would be in relation to where the back seat is. I have
looked around and found some articles that suggest it could be the governor
o ring. What the heck is that and how easy is it to fix? I believe the
grandkids dropped some Lucas Transmission Fix in there to aid. Now the leak
isn't gigantic but its enough to keep me from wanting to leave it parked on
my driveway without a pan overnight. Also could someone tell me where I
might be able to better decipher my cowl plate? I want to know specifically
what date my car was produced. Also the paint code is stamped as a 916A but
all I can find is a 915 which is Tasco Turquoise (and she kinda looks
Turquoise-ish). And any suggestions on a decent and quiet exhaust to replace
the leaky single exhaust I have in it now? Its pretty noisy in the drivers
compartment. Sorry for the long post. I guess I am just excited to jump into
this society of Vair owners.