<VV> Phil Hill - No Corvair

Vairtec at optonline.net Vairtec at optonline.net
Wed Sep 17 22:49:13 EDT 2008

At 09:35 PM 9/17/2008, Dave Thomson wrote:

>Not too much off topic, as Phil was the only american driver to win F1.

Well, American-BORN.  Mario Andretti was of course a naturalized
citizen long before he won in F1.  And should anyone care to question
Mario's American-ness, the fact that he came up through the dirt oval
ranks makes him thoroughly American to me.

I claim a distinction:  I know of no one else who, like me, saw Mario
race in person, in his first open-cockpit machine (a TQ Midget, in
the Teaneck, NJ Armory) and in his F1 car (the John Player Lotus, at
Watkins Glen).  I was a kid in the stands at Teaneck but I had pit
credentials at the Glen.

Andretti's TQ Midget, which continued racing long after Mario moved
up, is now restored and displayed at the Eastern Museum of Motor
Racing in Pennsylvania.  I don't know where the Lotus may be.

--Bob