<VV> Languages (no Corvair) - was Video of the 2008 NW Vair Roundup i Boise Idaho!

Gramps wizardhal at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 21:18:08 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Alan and Clare Wesson <
alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk> wrote:

> Finally, please don't take too much offence at these stories, which show
> that Americans and foreign (European) languages don't really mix - Brits and
> European languages don't either!
>
> Cheers
>
> Alan

I can agree with that! Some 50+ years ago I enrolled in French 101 in my
college freshman year. The instructor was a Frenchman with little skill in
pronouncing American English words and no tolerance for any mispronunciation
of his beloved French.

I withdrew from that class, barely avoiding my first ever failing grade. To
this day, I can speak only a few words and phrases in French, all with a
midwestern accent. I have often wondered how many (if any) of the other
students were able to survive that toxic class. It is one thing to learn the
words and grammar of another language but, in my opinion, much harder to
train the tongue to speak it as the natives do.

But, we have had French, German, English, Mexican and probably other
nationalities on VV, all with a common interest in Corvairs and that seems
to bridge the gap.