<VV> Ignition Firing Order Comparison - ah hah! Now it makes sense.

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Mon Sep 22 11:45:40 EDT 2008

Charles wrote:
Here's a Comparison of the Corvair's correct Firing Order and the
erroneous one :
www.yourbuyersinn.com/FiringOrderComparison.JPG

Here is a new, shorter link to the original GM diagram (that is wrong) :
www.yourbuyersinn.com/CorvairManualErrors.jpg

Does our historian have any ideas ?
Thanks
Charlie
PS:
The 'offending' plug wire and Firing Order diagram was scanned from an
original 1965 GM manual.
(It just has a 1964 copyright date.)

Craig replies (again):
I noticed that the shrouds shown in your picture were early, so I checked
earlier manuals.  I found the same drawing in the '61 manual on page 8-33.
The picture is poorly drawn and there are two ways to interpret the paths of
1 and 3.  The way you colorized it is one of the alternatives and that leads
to the wrong firing order.  If you colorize with the 5-o'clock (right rear)
wire going to #1, the drawing is right.  Heck, we are all right!
The picture in my '65 manual is identical to my '61 manual's picture - your
colorization just happened to interpret the 1-3 mixup the wrong way. My
statement that later '65 manuals had a corrected drawing was incorrect.
Craig