<VV> Corvair & Camaro

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Tue Sep 23 17:30:09 EDT 2008

All:  Beside giving you a really good looking car with a usable back seat,
the core reason folks make a front engine/rear drives out of a Corvair is
fairly simple.  It is also the reason folks join chapters and not CORSA,
join CORSA and not chapters and do a lot of other things.

The Reason Is:  Because they can.  I've come to realize a lot of Corvair
people, maybe more so than the general population, are compelled to do stuff
differently.  It is ingrain, part of our heredity and/or environment.
Contrariness is both a DNA and a learned method of dealing with all kinds of
situations.

Of course the Camaro looks like the Corvair.  If you also review the big
Chevy and the Chevelle and even the Corvette you will see the family DNA.
This is no accident.  So we should neither be surprised or beat our breast
about the obvious family resemblance.

Pete Estes wanted to name the car we know as the 67 Camaro "Corvair", but
the marketing folks screamed "NO!!!!" to/at him loud and long.  This little
fact, if you were paying attention to the various "back in the day" speeches
at various Corvair events by various ex-GM staff as printed in the
Communique, is one of the may small pieces of evidence the Corvair
production was scheduled to stop at the end of the 66 model year.  Or was
Chevrolet going to sell our car and the new front engine/rear drive car at
the same time with the same name?  I don't think so.....

Now then, why doesn't somebody graft a Corvair front and rear body panels
onto a Camaro?  Or...how about a front engined Corvair with a drive shaft
coupled to the Corvair transaxle and IRS?  I don't think anybody has done
that yet.  Kinda a Crown Conversion gone bad.  Or good, depending on your
contrariness.  Of course, they you would have something similar to a Pontac
Tempest (Opps), only with a real good IRS.  Oh Wait! A similar idea is what
got IRS banned by the SCCA for over 2 liter cars in club and Trans-Am
racing.

Historically Yours,
                   James Rice

Message: 2