<VV> Corvair Cooling Fan: Misc Applications

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Tue Sep 23 17:30:07 EDT 2008

All:  Back in the late '70's a friend raced a Porsche 914 in the SCCA.  He
ran a Corvair fan bolted to the front of the crankshaft.  He told me lots of
914 racers used our fan.  Don't remember if it was cut down or not.  My
guess is that it was, for approximately the same reason 'Vair racers run cut
down fans.

Another use for 'Vair fans was what John Greenwood, and then others, did
with them back in the early to mid-70's.  Mounted to the front rims of his
big block IMSA Corvette, they pumped air over the brakes and out thru the
rims.  This configuration eventually lead to BBS developing air extraction
vanes as part of their three piece rims for FIA Endurance racing.  They were
widely use on Porsche 935/935/936 endurance racecars.  Eventually brake
materials caught up with the heat dispersement requirements and the BBS fan
wheel went away.

Historically Yours,
                   James Rice

Message: 1