<VV> Chevy Volt

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Wed Sep 24 13:03:32 EDT 2008

It's a plug-in electric, so when the battery runs down it can run on
gasoline (no pollution or CO2 advantage at all when it's doing that then). I
don't have a problem with its range on electricity - I accept that a large
proportion of journeys are under 40 miles.

What I have a problem with is how the electricity is generated - it's a
completely pointless exercise unless you get your electricity generation
sorted out first (like the French have).

The point I was making was that, in the USA, plug-in electricity is just as
(if not more so) a polluting power source as gasoline, because of the way
the electricity is generated.

So all the Volt (and other electric cars, whether or not they can also run
on gasoline or diesel) do, when they are running on electricity, is move the
CO2 output to the source of the power generation rather than the location of
the vehicle.

That's all.

Cheers

Alan