<VV> Absolutely amazing photo website (no Corvair but there must besome in there somewhere!)

Charles Lee chaz at ProperProPer.com
Wed Sep 24 14:07:19 EDT 2008

Car accidents are "safer" today, but we are also much more creative and
innovative with our crashes...

Besides, if any one of those cars was found today it would be
"restorable" right ?

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Alan and Clare
Wesson
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 8:20 AM
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Absolutely amazing photo website (no Corvair but there
must besome in there somewhere!)

Hi everyone

This isn't directly Corvair linked, but it is an incredible photo
gallery,
and I haven't looked through all the pix, so there might be some in
there
somewhere (in fact if Nader is right there will definitely be some -
read
on!).

It is the photo archives from Monroe County Police Dept in upstate New
York,
and it primarily comprises several hundred very high definition photos
of
road traffic accidents (they call them MVAs, which I assume to be motor
vehicle accidents), running from about 1935 till about 1970.

The pictures are absolutely incredible - very gruesome, but they show
the
amazing strides that have been made in car safety (all these wonderful
30s
cars totally crunched, no crumple zones and little chance of getting out

alive). A lot of the accidents are car/train or car/truck, with
predictable
consequences! And quite a few of the cars are on their roofs or their
sides,
with the usually completely bald tyres visible, having slid on the slick
and
greasy, or icy and ungritted, road surface.

They are the most amazing photos I have ever seen - and, as I said, if
Nader
isn't a total shyster there must be some Corvairs in there somewhere -
because, as he has told us and we all know, Corvairs are death traps
that
are involved in a high proportion of accidents - right? (;-)))

Here are the links - there are 4 galleries. Sorry if you've seen them
before:

http://www.monroecountysheriff.info/about/history_gallery1.html

http://www.monroecountysheriff.info/about/history_gallery2.html

http://www.monroecountysheriff.info/about/history_gallery3.html

http://www.monroecountysheriff.info/about/history_gallery4.html

Finally, an apology to all the people (you know who you are!) who have
sent
me nice friendly emails to which I have not replied yet! It's not
personal,
but I am incredibly busy, and I will get to them in the end - possibly
later
this evening or tomorrow. There are about 10 of them, and I am finishing

assembling a customer's car following a paint job, and I really must get
it
back to him by the weekend if I can (there are about 20-30 hours work
left
in it). So please bear with me - I will get back to you soon!

Best wishes

Alan

P.S. A friend of mine found the site because he collects Fiat 130s (big
Italian luxury sedan from the 70s), and for some reason this came up
near
the top in a Google image search. Goodness knows why, because Fiat 130s
were
never imported into the USA, and there don't seem to be any in the
archive.
Interestingly and very oddly, though, one of the cars in Gallery 1 has a

Brit license plate as well as a US one!