<VV> Using compression gauge to locate TDC ?

Charles Lee chaz at ProperProPer.com
Wed Sep 24 18:29:33 EDT 2008

I just tried (again) to locate the correct TDC, and I used my
compression gauge (actually borrowed from AutoZone, no charge) to locate
TDC.

I noticed that compression spikes each time the rotor passes #1, hitting
about 50-60 lbs one time, and then 110-120 lbs the next time,
alternating between the readings.  (I removed the valve so it does not
hold the reading, as I watch the gauge)

I'm assuming that the low reading is the exhaust stroke, and the high
reading is compression ?

This is a method I had not heard before, and I'm wondering if it's valid
?

Seems logical, but I wanted to run it past you guys.

The engine does not start in either position, so there IS some other
problem, but I want to make sure I have the correct TDC before I start
poking around.

Thanks again,
Charlie
1967 Monza 110 PG coupe