<VV> New tech. The Volt, for one.

GPARob at aol.com GPARob at aol.com
Wed Sep 24 23:48:01 EDT 2008

I'm sorry, but I've got to comment about the Volt and pollution. I'm a two
Corvair owner- one is a rusted out electric vehicle. The other is a convertible
 I bought to put the EV parts into, but fell so much in love with her, that I
 won't change her out. So, I'm looking for another someday to convert.

ANYWAY.  I also own a Fiero EV, and a Kewet (look that one  up...).  As a guy
on the Volt list, hoping for one (Actually, I'd prefer an  all electric for
cheaper, with more range), I've heard some misconceptions here.

First. a HUGE portion of our electricity production comes from Coal. I
believe it's 40 percent.
As EVs charge off the grid normally at night, NO additional power plants or
infrastructure needs to be built for a long time. Here's what happens.  The
"Cheap electricity"- Nukes, for example, run full bore day and night. Power
companies have to cycle up the power production as demand increases- usually 10
am to 4pm.-- ish.  So, they wind up starting up additional plants- running
more expensive fuel- be it coal or natural gas. Both are used.  For the
forseeable future, NO additional power plants are needed, and the demand for  power
will smoothe out somewhat, enabling power companies to reduce the  expensive,
and sometimes polluting, start up and shut down cycles.  GM has  used the
number of millions of EVs.  Find a single guy involved in electric  power
production that will dispute this.

A power company guy last  week did the math. If we got rid of EVERY SINGLE
gas burning car, and went  exclusively to EV, the power companies estimate that
they'd need an additional 6  percent power generation and transmission
capability. SIX percent. And, that's  over 10-15 years to get ready for it.

I'm a little suprised to see the argument that power companies  pollute as
much as cars, and EVs pollute by switching the source to the  plant.  Setting
the pollution of solar, wind, geothermal, tidal and nuke  aside for a minute, do
you really think that coal and natural gas plants pollute  as much as a car
for the same amount of energy used?  Do you think it's  harder or easier to
clean up exhaust from a moving single vehicle, or a large  scale, fixed location?

A gas engine car driver forgets that a battery EV  is about 90% efficient.  A
gas engine car is about 15% efficient, and I'm  being generous. When I drive
the Fiero or the CorVolt, I have the energy  equivalent of one half gallon of
gas on board, in twenty old school 6  volt lead acid batteries, weighing 57
lbs each!!!  That gives me 75mph  capability, and 70 mile range in warm weather.
yes, it's a  VERY heavy way  to carry energy. But, still, very efficient.
That's part of why they  pollute so much less. The last argument I saw
attributed between 10% and 20% the  pollution of a gas engine car, only if the plant
was burning the dirtiest fuel  possible- coal. (Makes you pause when you see
those "Clean coal" ads,  huh?)

Check this stuff out. It's fascinating.  Like, if you convert water to
hydrogen, then put it in a fuel cell, and power your car, it takes three times  the
energy required to just charge the batterys in your EV to go the same
distance?  Amazing stuff.

Rob Neighbour