<VV> New tech. The Volt, for one.

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Thu Sep 25 05:28:30 EDT 2008

I will get flamed for responding to this because it's 'no Corvair', so any
further responses will be offlist.

However, I need to say the following:

> First. a HUGE portion of our electricity production comes from Coal.
> I believe it's 40 percent.

It's 48.9% - have a look at the wiki graph I posted before. And that's
TERRIBLE! Coal has the highest unit CO2 output of any fossil fuel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sources_of_electricity_in_the_USA_2006.png

And don't talk to me (as several have) about CCS (Carbon Capture and
Storage) - that has to be in place BEFORE you ramp up your electricity
demand, otherwise the net output of CO2 will rise, and that's not what it's
supposed to be all about. Have a look at this, which is currently exercising
our lentil-eating hippies and Al Gore fans (because don't forget that I
think this is all a load of BS!):

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/files/pdfs/climate/kingsnorth_objection.pdf

Paragraph 39 is the important one.

> As EVs charge off the grid normally at night, NO additional power plants
> or
> infrastructure needs to be built for a long time.

That's not the point - you need to be CLOSING coal-fired power plants, not
opening new ones.

> A power company guy last  week did the math. If we got rid of EVERY SINGLE
> gas burning car, and went  exclusively to EV, the power companies estimate
> that
> they'd need an additional 6  percent power generation and transmission
> capability. SIX percent. And, that's  over 10-15 years to get ready for
> it.

That underlines exactly the point I was making before - only 12% of CO2
comes from cars, so you are effectively saying that if you cut out the 12%
CO2 from gasoline and switched to elec, you'd cut 50% of the CO2 - in other
words, a Chevy Volt is 50% more efficient than a traditional American car.

This is almost certainly true, but it's only because the average American
car does about 15 mpg. If you switched to small diesels you'd cut your CO2
output a lot more, because small diesels are more efficient than Chevy
Volts - the power losses involved in generating elec from fossil fuels, then
sending it down cables to the end user, who then has to store it in a huge
(and polluting, and relatively short-lived) battery cancel out any advantage
that you might have gained.

You'd be much better off in CO2 terms switching to small diesels.

But either way, the saving (we are agreed it's max 6%) is so infinitesimal
that it will make absolutely no difference whatever to the climate! You'd be
much better trying to work out a way of generating domestic power cleanly.

O.K. - that's my last (public) word on the matter. But trust me - electric
cars aren't a panacea. They aren't even an improvement over what we've got
now. Only good thing I can think about them is that they develop maximum
torque from zero revs, so they are FUN TO DRIVE! And that's what it's all
about...

Cheers

Alan