<VV> tach

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Thu Sep 25 22:24:04 EDT 2008

I've seen a couple posts on the inner workings of the tach - I'm not
enough of an electrical guy to recall any of it, but you might dig
through the archives a bit.  Here's one post regarding calibration
that may help from Frank "man of many nicknames" Burkhard:

Les, Jim and VVers,
     Jim jostled my memory on this tach calibration question.  The 6
cyl.
Corvair engine produces 3 ignition coil pulses per revolution since
all 6
cylinders fire every 2 revolutions of the engine.  If the engine is
running
at 2400 rpm (or 40 revs per second) that makes 120 pulses per second
sent
the tachometer.  This is exactly the same number of 12 volts pulses (or
peaks) of DC voltage produced by a full wave rectifier battery charger.
The
battery charger takes 120 volts AC at 60 cycles per second and
converts it
into 12 (more like 15) volts DC with 120 pulses per second IF the
charger
uses a full wave rectifier.  If it uses a half wave rectifier, it
produces
60
pulses per second DC which would be equivalent to the Corvair engine at
1200
rpm.
The power company takes considerable pains to maintain the 60 cps quite
accurately since it governs the speed of electric clocks and other
devices
that depend on the frequency to control motor speed of things like
VCRs and
CD players, etc.
     See, Les, no begging required !!(:-)
     Frank "gauge lover" Burkhard