<VV> Distributor rebuild

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Thu Sep 25 22:32:24 EDT 2008

I'm the one who brought up the "dual bushed" distributor.  I have read all
the comments and they all seem reasonable, both pro and con. I am using it
because it is WAY better than my worn-out, wobbly one. Also, I had a
back-order credit with Mr. Wynne of Flycorvair.com. He agreed to custom
build my distributor for my street Turbo Spyder car in return for that
credit.

I have followed his website for over 8 years and have seen how he approaches
modifications and new items. From his website I have watched him come up
with several ideas that sounded good only to be proven wrong in his testing
and the idea was dropped. He is always putting down suppliers that provide
parts for flight without extensive flight testing first. I trust his
judgment. As for the "dual bushed" distributor, he has been building and
selling these modified distributors for over 10 years. I believe that there
are almost 100 flying now, I don't know the actual numbers.  All together
they must have several thousand hours of flight time with no reported
failures.

I'm no engineer. Because of that I try to get advice from those who are more
experienced than me and use proven products. In my mind, if Mr. Wynne's
distributors have this kind of record in flight, it couldn't be all too bad
in my street car. If I raced my car regularly, perhaps things might be
different. I have the distributor on my workbench and I plan to use it in my
street car. We'll all see how things work out. You can be sure that I will
report on any events that take place with it. Will the Nay-Sayers be right
or will the Yea-Sayers? Time will tell.

Flame on.

Dave Thompson

63 Spyder vert