<VV> Oil cooler shrouding

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Sat Sep 27 17:09:39 EDT 2008

I have a 64 drive train in my 63 Spyder. I was cleaning my stock 12 plate
oil cooler when I noticed that the left end was open to the engine
compartment. In the spare parts from the previous owner, one of the three
spare 12 plate oil coolers has a plate that covers the right end that is
closest to the engine. It has a bent tang that bolts in place with the
cooler mounting bolt. There is not one installed on the car nor is there one
on the left side of the cooler.

Someplace I thought I read that there should be baffles on both ends of the
cooler forcing the all the air to flow down into the heater ducts below. I
looked in my 63 assembly manual, Section 6, Sheet A6.00 and A7.00,  the 60
Chevy green book page A6-13 and page 6A-3 of my 64 supplement green book.
None of them show any end baffles. Are they an after market or home made
item? Are they really necessary on a street car in Southern California
weather?

I have the materials, tools and knowhow to make the baffles if they will
help engine oil cooling. When on the freeway cruising at around 60 to 70 MPH
my CHT is straight up, about 400 degrees. I know that there is a difference
between oil temp and CHT but it is the only indicator that I have on the
car.

What do you guys think?

Dave Thompson

Westminster, CA