<VV> valve adjusting sequence, Ultra brakes

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Mon Sep 29 10:17:58 EDT 2008

At 01:06 9/29/2008 -0400, Lonzo wrote:
>Hey guys (and gals),
>Since it's been maybe 8 years since my last o-ring job, and I can't locate
>my HTKYCA book, I need a refresher on the valve adjusting procedure...
>With #1 at TDC
>#1 I&E, #3 I, #5 E, #4 E, #6 I
>
>then turn crank 360 degrees and do:
>#3 E, #5 I, #2 I&E, #4 I, #6 E....
>
>and yes, I know you look for actual movement in the length of the rod, not
>checking if it twists...
>So, is that sequence correct?

If the distributor is still in and correct, why not adjust them one at a
time going through the firing order?  Begin at #1 TDC, then turn the crank
120deg to #4 TDC (check position of rotor), etc..

>But the first plan of action is the rear caliper... It is a 1990 Eldorado
>rear caliper, and I'll be replacing it... it's the type with the lever that
>tightens the pads to the rotor... I looked at the parts at the parts store
>today... so I'll be getting that done first, and flushing the brake fluid
>as  well.
>and bleeding the front brakes...

Did you ever figure out the hand lever up front?  If it was my Ultra, I
would get the parking brake lever assembly from a bus or truck--the type
that has about a 100deg over-center swing.  The handle of this type has a
knob that can be twisted to adjust the cable tension [and braking force] as
needed.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI