<VV> PG Transmission Question

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Mon Sep 29 18:44:43 EDT 2008

Hi all,
    Have a PG question (probably one of several as we go along).  My son in law
removed the drive train from my 65vert (95hp Pg).  The PG has had a bad leak for
some time, we have isolated it to what we believe is the front pump seal.  We
are attempting to remove the plate from the front of the pump housing.  Have
removed all bolts from both the inner and outer bolt circles on the face of the
PG, but are unable to remove the front plate.  From the drawings it looks like
the plate should just pull out of the lip but we are unable to budge it.  Is
there some trick or something else that we have missed ?--------------------------------Smitty Says:  Rex the inner circle of bolts are where you want to be pulling the plate but at the same time you don't want to pull the plate out more than 1/4 to 3/8 inch in order to prevent separating things you dont want to be separating inside.  In absene of a slide hammer I have found that backing the inner circle of bolts off about 1/4 inch and removing all but two opposite outer bolts, then using two big screwdrivers you can pop the pump plate out.  Using the backed off outer bolts as fulcrums and placing the bits of the screwdrivers under the heads of two nearby inner bolt heads you can lift the two plates together toward the bolt heads.  They will not come too far though because the outer bolt heads will limit the plates.  Confused ?  Check a Communique article on the subject.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.
  -Rex-
  65 vert
  61 Rampie