<VV> C&SC

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Wed Apr 1 12:38:29 EDT 2009

Alan:  Your comments about the staff at C&SC are hardly fair.

I met Mick Welsh, who is at the top of the C&SC editorial org chart, at a Rd
America SVRA vintage event about 20 years ago.  Great car guy, and seemed to
be a decent human being.

Mick is a Corvair enthusiast.  A couple years ago he wanted to buy a LM on
the west coast, drive it across our south to the Amelia Isle event and then
ship it to England.  I tried to hook him up with Sarah for the Florida
event, but the first step on of the hoped for string of events didn't
happen, so the whole idea collapsed.

C&SC still covered the event very well.  Over the years, they've done
several Corvair articles, all very favorable.  Even did one of John Fitch
and his Phoenix.  I covered the Stinger Reunion for C&SC, and Mick was very
happy to have me do it.

I recently sent Mick a note about the Corvair's 50th, and he started
thinking about what to do. I put him in touch with Harry for information on
CORSA plans.

I really hope he is successful in buying the So Africa Corvair somebody
mentioned.

Remember Alan, at our age, just about everybody seems like a 18 yr old
snotty nose kid.  I first realized my age many years ago when I realized the
lady who worked for me was old enough to be my daughter, and she was 35.  It
is difficult to remember these people are not kids, nor are they mentally
challenged with low IQ's.  Many of them have forgotten more than we
currently know.

Historically Yours,
                   James Rice

Message: 7