<VV> Carb Problem

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Sat Apr 4 23:25:19 EDT 2009

> From: Charles Birchwood
> <sharpiebandit06 at bellsouth.net>
 if I tighten the carb needles in all the
> ways, doesn't that mean there's no fuel allowed in?
> ??
> ?? here's the deal, I can't get my engine to run
> smoothly and run reasonably well on gas economy. when the
> engines turned over;? one side of the?engine will heat up
> and the other side will stay really cool. I have good
> compressions, good spark, no fuel impedence in the lines or
> carb?stone, my timing is correct and my points are good and
> set. even when I sync?the carbs up with the vacuum gauge,
> one side will run hotter than the other and when you put
> your hand over the cool side carb restricting the air flow,
> the hot side will carry it, but the cool side won't
> carry the hot, you can look down the carb stack and see the
> hot side drawing in tons of fuel, but the cool side drawing
> in next to nothing as it idle. and when you put it in gear,
> it threaten to cut off and?runs look someone's slinging
> a ston around in the back. (the transmission is good)
> I've been on this for hours playing with the fueld
> needles and idle screws, please help me?
Smitty Says;  Charles a couple of things need clarifying.  You say when you look down the hot side you can see the fuel.  You should never see liquid fuel in the throat of a properly operating carb (unless you are activating the accel pumps).  The mist of fuel should be so fine you can't see it.  So that carb most likely has a leaking inlet valve (float valve).  Could be a sinking float but most commonly the valve.
The side you are calling the cold side will not run with the needle screwed all the way in, so start with it unscrewed 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 turns out.
I would guess that you are trying to adjust the carbs with them fastened together.  If you are, don't.  Disconnect the left carb fron the crossover shaft and tie it to the idle position with a rubber band.  Then you can tell if you have two functioning carbs by throttleing them independantly.  If the cold side contributes nothing to idle but comes to life when you throttle it then you have learned something.  That it is the idle circuit only at fault and not a main jet.
This could go on forever, but maybe this much will give you a start toward understanding.