<VV> 2-Door Wagon

tkalp at cox.net tkalp at cox.net
Tue Apr 7 22:06:44 EDT 2009

I would be interested in contacting Ray? if anyone has his address.

My own attempt at an EM 2-door wagon with coupe doors is here:
http://members.cox.net/tkalp2/lakewood.htm

I approached it a bit differently.  Basically took the side off of an EM
2 door split at the pinchweld in the rockers under the door opening.
Used the Coupe sheetmetal behind the door to fill in the gap where the
rear door of the wagon was. Married the top half of the wagon B pillar
to the bottom half of the coupe rear door post, removed the window
"trim" from both the wagon door and coupe door.  Lenghtened the wagon
window "trim" 9" and reinstalled it on the coupe door.  Haven't messed
with the door glass or winder yet have to wait and see what happens,
neither have I decided whether to use the wagon or coupe vent wing.
Getting the interior trim to look factory is almost as difficult a task
as all the exterior bodywork.

As you can see from the photos the car looks long even with the stock
height top . . . MHO is that chopping the to would add a lot to the
complexity of the project and add little or none to the appearance of
the wagon.

With one side pretty much done, I neeed to commit to how to handle the
rear side window area.  A buddy of mine did a 2-door treatment on a '54
Chevy wagon and said the window was too long for  common two layer
safety glass.  He had tempered glass windows made for his project for
about $100 each. Another option would be to split the back window area
with a post like the 55-57 Chevy 2-door wagons. The last option was to
make it a sedan delivery and use metal panels, I have a pair of panels
from a Vega Delivery, but they are several inches too short.  I also
have the "toolbox" area from the Vega Delivery which I may use instead
of a rear seat.

There are also some people playing around with a PhotoShop type program
on Corvair Center and came up with this concept for an EM wagon.
http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,196172,page=6

Most likely much easier done in pixels rather than metal.

BTW Seth, I have heard rumors of a LM 4-door wagon under construction .
. . it won't get done quickly, but it will look great when it is done.

Terry Kalp