<VV> Oldest Corvair on eBay

Dave Newell chevrobilia at juno.com
Wed Apr 15 04:04:45 EDT 2009

Hi,
Yes, this is the oldest known Corvair, and this is its third appearance on eBay. It didn't meet reserve the first time. On its second go around it sold but the buyer defaulted because of his health. I hope someone will finally buy the thing and preserve it once and for all. But be warned, it's a rust bucket that has been filled up in the best bondo artist tradition. The front fenders are very poorly sculpted, which is a big problem since they're different on the earliest cars. Along with the front doors, they don't interchange with later Vair fenders and doors. Also, half of the punched horn slots below the front bumper are filled with bondo (or perhaps the space they once occupied is now solid bondo, I don't know). Pete Koehler has seen the car in person.
The CPF will be taking #407 to the convention in Jacksonville and will be celebrating it's 50th birthday there. Yes, 407 was the '60 that was in Detroit and also the car featured in Motor Trend Classic Car, Sept/Oct 2006. It's in very nice condition and was owned by the late Jerry Flinn. Jerry's widow Pat, son Bryce and other family members will be coming from Michigan to the convention with 407 and we'll be having a birthday ceremony for it.
Corvair production started July 7th, which was celebrated by the Willow Run plant every year as the Corvair's birthday. The convention will be starting on July 13th, exactly 50 years and six days later. That's GOT to be more than a coincidence...it's just too perfect!
Production started slowly. Doing the math using the monthly line rates (cars per hour) from startup through August puts both 375 and 407 right smack on July 13th. It could vary a day or two either way, of course. But no matter how you figure it, July 7, 2009 is truly the 50th Anniversary of Building the First Corvair. Which makes it the second most significant date in Corvair history, right next to October 2nd when the Corvair was introduced to the public.
Maybe we'll get lucky and 375 will make it to Jacksonville too, along with 428 which is a beautiful Cascade Green 700.
Dave Newell