<VV> Oldest Corvairs-rental Corvairs

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Wed Apr 15 08:02:29 EDT 2009

On Apr 15, 2009, at 4:04 AM, Dave Newell wrote:

> Hi,
> Yes, this is the oldest known Corvair, and this is its third
> appearance on eBay. It didn't meet reserve the first time. On its
> second go around it sold but the buyer defaulted because of his
> health. I hope someone will finally buy the thing and preserve it
> once and for all. But be warned, it's a rust bucket that has been
> filled up in the best bondo artist tradition. The front fenders are
> very poorly sculpted, which is a big problem since they're different
> on the earliest cars. Along with the front doors, they don't
> interchange with later Vair fenders and doors. Also, half of the
> punched horn slots below the front bumper are filled with bondo (or
> perhaps the space they once occupied is now solid bondo, I don't
> know). Pete Koehler has seen the car in person.
> The CPF will be taking #407 to the convention in Jacksonville and
> will be celebrating it's 50th birthday there. Yes, 407 was the '60
> that was in Detroit and also the car featured in Motor Trend Classic
> Car, Sept/Oct 2006. It's in very nice condition and was owned by the
> late Jerry Flinn. Jerry's widow Pat, son Bryce and other family
> members will be coming from Michigan to the convention with 407 and
> we'll be having a birthday ceremony for it.
> Corvair production started July 7th, which was celebrated by the
> Willow Run plant every year as the Corvair's birthday. The
> convention will be starting on July 13th, exactly 50 years and six
> days later. That's GOT to be more than a coincidence...it's just too
> perfect!
> Production started slowly. Doing the math using the monthly line
> rates (cars per hour) from startup through August puts both 375 and
> 407 right smack on July 13th. It could vary a day or two either way,
> of course. But no matter how you figure it, July 7, 2009 is truly
> the 50th Anniversary of Building the First Corvair. Which makes it
> the second most significant date in Corvair history, right next to
> October 2nd when the Corvair was introduced to the public.
> Maybe we'll get lucky and 375 will make it to Jacksonville too,
> along with 428 which is a beautiful Cascade Green 700.
> Dave Newell

Interesting as always, Dave.

Say, do you have any knowledge regarding Bob Brought's rental Corvair
as discussed here a few days ago and his letter in the Communique?

Bob showed me the glass from the car as shown in the picture in the
Communique. There's another interesting Corvair story there, we just
don't know quite what it is.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer & Membership Chairman