<VV> Powerglide flare

Terrence Gartland gartland at sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 15 22:09:23 EDT 2009

Hi folks,

I seem to remember some discussion last year regarding Powerglide flare at
upshift but didn't pay a whole lot of attention at the time. In retrospect I
probably should have because mine is now doing this very thing. A little
background:  I was getting very harsh downshifts until the car had fully
warmed up and then it would disappear. I changed the vacuum modulator as per
Corvair Basics and the harsh downshifting disappeared...yay!...not long
after, the flaring at upshift started...boo!... primarily when I'm giving it
any kind of acceleration...under slow, leisurely acceleration does not occur
as often, if at all...are the two issues related?...is it very harmful to
the tranny when this occurs?...a clue as to what I should be looking for
would be most helpful...Thanks as always...

Terry Gartland

Ottawa, Ont. Canada

'65 Monza 110 PG