<VV> loose fuel pump eccentric on crankshaft

shortle shortle556 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 15 23:25:52 EDT 2009

On my 1962 Monza wagon while attempting to fix an oil leak coming from rear engine housing (after removal) I noticed the fuel pump eccentric is loose on the crankshaft, just dangling. Upon further disassembly I realized the spacer between eccentric and distributor drive gear is missing. What this has done is beat the heck out of the frontward keyway making it only about half its original length. When I install a replacement eccentric (the old one was a bit beat up) it goes too far forward and it just dangles loosely (due to the front keyway now being about half its original length). My question: How does 1 get the keyways out of the crankshaft for replacement? I have a spare core crankshaft and all the pieces (2 keyways, slinger, distributor gear, spacer, and eccentric) came out of it pretty easily. Any suggestions?
Timothy Shortle in Durango Colorado