<VV> Pinging Under Part Throttle Load

Jeffrey B. Aronson jrh at foxislands.net
Mon Apr 20 06:44:45 EDT 2009

My '66 Monza 110/4 received a points/plugs/rotor/cap "tuneup" a few
months ago. In addition, I checked the carb balance using my Unisyn.

The car started and ran well during the winter months, and driving it
around the island - admittedly short distances and at low speeds -
produced no pinging, flat spots, etc. Since only regular fuel is sold on
the island, I've added an octane booster with each fill up.

Recently I pulled out my timing light and, after checking the points
again, set the timing to 14 degrees as per the shop manual. The car
pinged so, upon advice from the Corvair Forum members, reduced it to
8-10 degrees.

Yesterday the first meeting of the statewide club, the Dirigo Corvairs,
met a few hours away in southern Maine. I took the ferry to the mainland
and filled up a nearly empty tank with premium gas. As soon as the roads
opened up and I could let the car run as it felt it wanted to, it
started to ping when under part throttle load. That would mean going
uphill at 55-65 mph; the pinging diminished or ended as the throttle
went to the floor. This continued even after adding another bottle of
octane booster.

I'm going to reduce the timing advance further later today. but what's
your advice on the best timing range for this situation?

BTW, thanks to advice from multiple sources, I do know that I"m timing
the car correctly with a strobe timing gun.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME 04863
www.landroverwriter.com