<VV> Hydrogen, was: Cold fusion news-no Corvair but potential sourceof po...

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Mon Apr 20 05:58:17 EDT 2009

Alan,

Yes, absolutely the case.  Back in the early 90s I tried  to get some
development business with GM on their electric vehicle  project.  This turned out
to be the EV-1.  I strongly suggested a  hybrid system with regen
capability but they were dead set on a 100%  battery powered vehicle.  I tactfully
told them what you pointed out in  your post.  Perhaps their decision was
based on the assumption that an all  electric vehicle could be developed and
brought to market quicker than a hybrid  whether or not it was practical.  If
so, they were correct in that  assumption but the EV-1 was little more than a
flash in the pan, as they  say.  I suppose it gave GM bragging rights but
it was a dismal failure  other than that mostly due to the limited range of
its battery.  They lost  lots of money but they did get the PR boost.

GM's present Volt concept is what I was proposing but I did  not get the
development project I was after back then, or since.  Oh  well.

The Corbin Sparrow was a similar battery only 3 wheeled  vehicle that
lasted in production for just under 2 years.  At least my  company got prototypes
on that one.  I believe that after filing Chapter  7, the manufacturing
rights eventually ended up with Myers Motors in  Ohio.  Other than our
development model, I have never seen one on the  road.  Actually, the Feds never let
us drive the experimental unit on the  road and we respected their wishes,
of course.  (wink ,,,  wink)  I am not sure if Myers is still making them.

On a side note, the GM meeting included a bunch of Engineers  and
management folks who were happy to be diverted to discuss my car  collection for well
over an hour.  At that time, the  collection included a 55 Bel Air Sport
Coupe, a 60 Corvette, a 65  Corvette convertible, a 66 Corsa, a 67 Nova SS and
a 68 Camaro, they seemed  impressed.  The 55 Bel Air and the Corvair
stimulated the most  interest.  They even forgave me for driving a Bronco.  Yes, I
was that  big a bonehead to let slip at a GM meeting that I used a Ford as
my daily driver  and tow vehicle.  Maybe that was the real reason I didn't
get the  contract.

Doc
60 Corvette, 61 Rampside, 62 Rampside, 64 Spyder Coupe, 65  Greenbrier, 66
Corsa Turbo Coupe, 67 Nova SS and a 68 Camaro  convertible
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In a message dated 4/20/2009 1:54:26 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk writes:

> If  cars become hydrogen/electric and we somehow increase the electric
power  grid capacity (or go to solar/wind generators) THEN maybe it might have
a  use.

I have just had a blinding realisation - nothing to do with  hydrogen
(except that it goes to the issue of where we are going to get the  power to do
the electrolysis necessary to produce it).

The reason  electric cars won't work is simply because batteries contain so
little  potential energy compared with gasoline. The reason I thought of
this was  because I was mowing our lawn with our useless gasoline lawn mower,
and I  remembered how much more useless the electric one we once had was. It
had no  power at all (and that was a mains one, so it didn't even have the
battery  problem to contend with!). Batteries are a very poor and limited
way of  storing energy.

So I decided to find out how much more potential energy  a tank of gas has
than the batteries in a typical electric car, and although  the information
was hard to source, I managed in the end (info. courtesy of  the British
Royal Institution!).

A BATTERY WITH THE SAME AMOUNT OF  POTENTIAL ENERGY AS A TYPICAL TANK OF
GASOLINE WOULD WEIGH 24 TONS.

So  battery-powered cars will never work, and we are wasting our time
trying,  because they will have NO range, NO air con, NO electric seats, NO sat
navs,  NO power mirrors, NO sound systems, NO heater fans, NO other
electrical  services, and NONE of the zillions of electric doodads no-one can live
without  nowadays. And when the batteries run down in the middle of the city
(or the  middle of nowhere) they will become traffic obstacles.

We (both UK  and USA) would be better off investing in renewable
electricity to produce the  hydrogen we will need for our fuel cells, if we decide to
go down that route  (because we have got a BIG mountain to climb in that
direction - a lot of  electrolysis is going to have to be happening, and there
is NO electricity to  do it with at the moment!).

So far, Gordon Brown's response has been to  commission three new
gas-powered power stations. Not sure what Obama is doing,  but he is going to have to
do better than that.

On the same topic,  while we were on the way to Italy last week there was a
programme on the BBC  radio about energy and the future. As usual with the
BBC it was highly  anti-car and heavily slanted towards saying how wonderful
alternative energy  was, and how it was going to Save Us All.

The first part of the  programme was devoted to sycophantic adulation of
electric cars, and there  were interviews with BMW car company executives in
which they were invited to  support the thesis that we would all be driving
electric MINIs in 50 years'  time, and that this would Save The World. The
executives, of course,  agreed...

The second part of the programme was devoted (without any  apparent sense
of irony) to a very alarmist assessment of Britain's  electricity producing
needs and capabilities, and it concentrated particularly  on the looming
energy gap we face circa 2014-20 (because of the need to  decommission existing
power plants).

Not sure how they think we can  increase our power consumption needs by
circa 100% while simultaneously  experiencing a 40% energy gap, but this seems
to be the kind of dream world  politicians and the media live in nowadays.

Cheers

Alan

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220572844x1201387506/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26