<VV> '60 style screw in ball joint

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 20 20:34:57 EDT 2009

I have unknowingly pressed out screw in ball joints (and then screwed in
their replacements - successfully).   I would assume, that with adequate
force, one could reverse the operation and press them in, but now
knowing they are screw in, that would seem to be the way to go.  Tool
guys make sockets specifically to fit the screw in joints.  My lower
ball joint press has always consisted of a concrete floor, a heavy duty
jackstand, and a BFH,  applied with a good deal of elbow grease --
professionally it is the fastest way to do it, and 'time is money'.
Learned my technique by watching a bosses sixteen year old son change
lower ball joints and upper control arm bushings on full sized sixties
era rigs in under an hour a side.

I would not recommend deliberately using the wrong ball joints nor the
wrong installation or removal methods, but it might work.  As always,
your mileage may vary ...

Godspeed!

Bill Strickland