<VV> Pinging

Jeffrey Aronson jrh at foxislands.net
Mon Apr 20 20:21:03 EDT 2009

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for the recommendations. I did try two different fillups
on the mainland of premium fuel from two different branded stations, and
it did ping under "partial load."

This afternoon, I retarded the timing a bit. The car did not idle very
well, even when the idle speed was increased to compensate. So I
enriched the mixture so slightly and checked the carb synch with my
Unisyn. The car responded by idling much better. What is challenging for
me is that the island's roads don't really exact the driving "load" that
helps identify pinging.

As for the "water treatment," I remembered it as a technique. Ron Moller
of Maplewood Motors, Maine's CORSA Corvair shop, suggested pouring a
little ATF down the carbs first and then spraying water in small amounts
into the carbs to help steam off carbon that might be igniting. I'll
give it a try when the rains stop in a couple of days.

Thanks again!

Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME 04863
www.landroverwriter.com