<VV> Generator/electrical/Corvair

John Kepler jekepler at amplex.net
Wed Apr 22 06:18:43 EDT 2009

'Polarizing the regulator' is a service one performs when installing a
new unpolarized regulator, or changing the polarity of the charging system.

Bill Strickland

I like how you qualified it with the "new unpolarized regulator" part.
While it's been a year or three since I played with an old generator
regulator...NONE of them was ever purchased "unpolarized", not even the
over-priced junk from "The Prince of Darkness" (John Lucas)!  I knew such
things existed and knew how to "flash" polarize them....but I never bought
one that way and consigned it to one of those "useless" factoids from the
1930's that my Dad insisted on dragging into the "modern" 1960's to inflict
on me!

As for the OP.  An inexplicably draining battery is a good "tell" for a
failed/failing generator voltage regulator.  The field coil is likely being
energized by a stuck regulator.  But then, since the subject is currently on
replacing voltage regulators, I guess that probable cause for the battery
drain is already on the table!

John