<VV> Alt Fuels (NO HYDROGEN), slight Corvair content....

PatioMatt at aol.com PatioMatt at aol.com
Wed Apr 22 19:50:26 EDT 2009

In a message dated 4/22/2009 3:58:35 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
jwilson at unctv.org writes:

Things I have sometimes wondered about but don't quite understand:
what is the difference between CNG (compressed natural gas) and LPG
(liquified petroleum gas) and 'Propane'?

  1  CNG  compressed natural gas  approx. 2500  psi.. lower BTU's than
gasoline... not enough range with tanks that fit cars /  pickups

2  LNG liquefied  NG      -400F!   pressurizes as it warms... 100 times
more  in same  space...but a complex system.

3   LPG   as you think!  200 psi    about 9/10 the energy of gasoline.

2 types of LPG      propane  and  Butane    both have approx. the same
BTU's, simple  system  to expand  liquid to supply enough for an engine while
using a small  tank.

But Butane FREEZES at 35 F!    You use it in Summer  only..

Most cars, trucks, etc in Private Hands have used LPG...

Matt  Nall
All Vairs!
Visit my Webpages!  tinyurl.com/The-Patio
somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay.  OR.

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!