<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 51, Issue 81 - Alt Fuels - CNG LPG

Dale Allen AusBallooningFed at bigpond.com
Wed Apr 22 19:23:23 EDT 2009

Here in Australia LPG is widely distributed and used as an automotive
fuel without problems. The only times we read of a fire or gas leak is
when the system has been installed by a 'back-yarder'.

The usual requirement is for hardened valve seats, which provide no
obstacle for a Corvair. As LPG is a very dry fuel some cars have
problems with upper cylinder wear but this can be overcome by
installing an upper cylinder lubrication system in the car. It may not
be a problem with a Corvair.

All LPG, CNG, Propane systems need high pressure storage tanks which
can be a bit bulky and usually encroach significantly into the trunk
area.

CNG has more butane and methane than LPG which in turn has higher
levels of propane but is not pure propane. The best energy return is
from propane but LPG is fine and CNG is OK. The mileage will be less
with the CNG because of the lower energy density.

Australian experience suggests that it is a very viable option - go
for it.
Cheers.

Dale Allen
P.O. Box 402 Emerald Vic 3782