<VV> Generator/electrical/Corvair

Rodney Spooner corvairenterprises at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 17:22:23 EDT 2009

    Polarizing generators is very old school (before phonics) but it is specified in the Corvair repair manuals for a reason.

    The reason is because if the electrical charge to a generator or a generator regulator is disconnected (due to testing, repairing, or replacing), the generator must be polarized.  If this is not done, the generator may be damaged and the regulator contacts burned.  Reversed polarity will discharge the battery - or damage it.

    I am not 100% certain, but if the generator is NOT properly polarized, then it acts something akin to an electric motor, drawing a charge from the battery and pushing it back (reverse) through the electrical system. As a result, over time the generator and/or the regulator will slowly burn up.

    One more excellent reason to take your precious Corvair to a REAL Corvair shop mechanic because we although we spent over $20,000 on ASE training and certification for our son, he and most modern automotive know-it-alls don't know anything about the simple art of polarizing generators.

Vairy truly yours,
Rodney Spooner

Remember: The Chevrolet Corvair's Golden 50th Anniversary is Friday, October 2nd. (The Corvair officially went on sale Friday, October 2nd, 1959.)
Hallelujah!!! So get'em shined up and ready to show NOW!!!