<VV> Generator/electrical/Corvair

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Apr 26 12:42:21 EDT 2009

As I stated earlier, it is Battery to Generator (aka Armature) to
polarize the generator. If you jump Battery to Field, you are applying
voltage where it will do no good. The + end of the field coils are
connected internally to the Armature terminal. The - end is connected to
the Field terminal. The Field terminal is connected to ground through
the voltage regulator when the engine is not running. So jumping Bat to
Gen on the regulator properly polarizes the field of the generator.

This is confirmed on page 8-18 of the 61 shop manual.

 The Field terminal goes to ground to work. i.e. the more the Field
terminal is grounded, the more current the generator makes. But enough
theory...

Frank DuVal